Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Can a child of the age of twelve choose were she/he wants to live in the state of South Carolina?

Asked on 4/22/11, 9:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

There is no "magic age" in SC at which a child can dictate to the parents where he/she will live. I have written an article on this topic, which you can view here:

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 4/22/11, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina