Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in India

My father bought a room in a chawl in Thane near Mumbai in 1985. Since 4 years we are not staying there and the electric connection has been disconnected due to non payment of bills. Now the landlord has stopped collecting rent from us and doesn't accept it even when we visit his house. Recently he came with men from court who spoke to our neighbors and took their signature saying we don't stay there. Please tell how we can protect our home?

Asked on 6/23/13, 1:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

You are at a loss to keep the room closed and idle for such a long duration of time. Secondly, you ought to have confirmed that the previous owner has settled all the electricity outstanding whilst taking over possession of the room. I suggest you or your family member should stay in the room and not keep it vacant.


Read more
Answered on 6/23/13, 3:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in India