Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

I need help with an expungment [please] i was convicted of a drug charge [possession of marajuana] the conviction was back in 1989 and it's interfering with ability to have a good job.i havent had as much as a speeding ticket since this happend can you please help me?

Asked on 2/09/11, 6:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Pfeifer Pfeifer LLC

Alabama law does not currently allow expungements of criminal records in the situation you describe. Several attempts have been made to pass an expungement law in the last few years, but all of those attempts failed. Since there has been a large turnover in the Alabama legislature after the last election, it is unknown what chances the bill will have if it is reintroduced again this year. However, I would encourage you to contact your state representative and state senator, and ask them to support passing an expungement law this year to enable people like you to clear their records.

If the legislature enacts the expungement law, then please feel free to contact me at that time about the proper procedures for clearing your record. Until then, I would encourage you to become politically involved in getting the law passed by the legislature. If the law is enacted, I will post a notification about it on my blog at

Read more
Answered on 2/10/11, 5:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama