Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

I was sentence for 15 years in prison. I served 9 years. How can I get out on parole?

Asked on 1/14/11, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kyla Kelim Aging in Alabama

You should have been assigned a case manager who will calculate your parole date. This is the date that you have for a first parole hearing. While inside, you should maximize your time to show that you have been rehabilitated. Have no disciplinaries, and engage in classes that will show your ability to have a smooth transition into productivity, like learning a trade and/or taking college courses, obtaining your GED and other degrees if possible, take substance abuse classes if necessary. If your crime was violent, take anger management classes. If a psychiatric problem is present, be sure and seek assistance. Obtaining letters from supporters prior to parole, including those who state that they will employ and house you, will give you a great start at your hearing. If restitution or other court ordered fines are due, figure out a payment plan. If you have children or other family members that depend on you, have them work with your attorney or a local attorney who is knowledgeable on preparing letters, cards, and other written material so that the parole board becomes familiar with you as a person, not just a number on a file. Discuss this and other matters with your caseworker, as this will be the person most knowledgeable about this topic.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/11, 11:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama