Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Deadbeat Dad Question

Seven years ago, I was in a relationship (not marriage) and became pregnant. Upon telling this man that I was pregnant, he left me. I have had no contact with my child's father since before my son was born. He is not listed on the birth certificate, and we've never received any child support. I married another man in June 2006, and he wants to adopt my son.

What do I need to do so that my husband can adopt my son? Does the biological father have rights? Can his absence be considered abandonment? Is there any way that his rights can be terminated without his written consent? The last I heard, he lives in Germany now.

Asked on 1/22/07, 4:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

Re: Deadbeat Dad Question

You are set to go to probate court for adoption. You need an attorney to get your pleading proper. The child's father is not registered with the putative father's registry which is a presumption of no claim to paternity. Thus, your husband can adopt the child.

Read more
Answered on 1/22/07, 8:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama