Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Proof of Paternity

I have been declared the father of a child by default in Alabama, because I didn't know about the hearing. I have no lawyer. I petitioned the court on my own to reopen the case. I provided DNA test that show conclusively I am not the childs father. It did not seem to matter to the court. How do I get the DNA test introduced into evidence at family court without a lawyer? And how do I procede after that?

Asked on 10/30/00, 8:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Blocker Walter l. Blocker, III P.C.

Re: Proof of Paternity

depending on which court you are in, you have a very limited amount of time in which to petition the court for a rehearing of your case. perhaps an attorney could get the judge to reopen the case if the time has not passed. it is very important as to whether the dna test was available when the default judgement was rendered. i would suggest that you contact an attorney and provide him or her with the dna evidence and court records and see if a motion to set aside the default judgment would be appropriate. call me if you need further info.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/00, 1:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama