Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

How do I remove father's name from birth certificate (in state of AL)?

I have a child that is 6 mos old now, and I had her out of wedlock. Her biological father was not in the picture at all. I told him about the pregnancy and he played like he was excited and later on called me a liar. Later to find out that he got his previous "babymama" pregnant again around the same time I got pregnant. I tried to reach out to let him know that he does have a daughter and left the situation alone. Later on I got into a relationship with someone before my baby was born. We had intentions on getting married but later found out that it wasn't meant to be. After my baby was born I had him sign the birth certificate since we were planning to get married. Now his family and I had a disagreement and I'm scared he and his mom will try to take her away from me. How I have no problem with him coming over to see her, I even told him that he could visit all day at my place, and even until midnight if he wanted, but my baby cannot leave with him or have overnight stays at him and his moms place. If he wants to go somewhere with her I would really feel comfortable to be around. How could I go about getting his name off the birth certificate?

Asked on 7/31/11, 7:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

I think I understand you to say, the name of the father signing the birth certificate is not the biologicl father. If so, then you have to go to family court and file for paternity and child support, where he will be found not to be the father and not have to pay child support, then you can go to probate to change the child's name. While you are filing for paternity and child support, the biological father can be brought in as a party and have him declared the father and get child support retroactive to birth. Now this is tricky and you will need a lawyer. Please call if I can be of assistance.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/11, 12:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama