Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

We r trying to get my father's stocks changed into my mother's name cuz when he died 12 years ago the family lawyer told her not to change it cuz there was no will! Now we r receiving letters from law firms prepared to represent us for a fee in claiming these stocks as heirs which should belong to my mother as everything else was! How do we remedy this before the state steals them from her?

Asked on 7/09/16, 12:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison

You need to go to probate court and open an estate without a will with a reliable member of the family as the administrator. There she will receive her share of the estate. You will need to get an attorney that understands probating an estate when there is no will. This has to be done for any financial assets.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/16, 9:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama