Legal Question in Criminal Law in Arizona

A year ago my son was arrested at my property for trespassing. He does not live here and was convicted on a class 3 misdemeanor. He is 31 and claims that this conviction is keeping him from being hired. He wants me to recant my testimony and say I made it up. He was told by some lawyer that it would then be removed from his record and I would get a small fine. I was a year ago. I don't want him having his record keeping him from working ... could I recant and say I made it up (I really didn't) and what is punishment for false testimony? I would like to help him - he is 31. thanks

Asked on 8/09/13, 10:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Strickman Strickman Law Office, PLLC

First there is no guaranty that his record would be expunged, second you are asking advice on committing the crime of purgery. Almost all job applications ask about felonies and not misdemeanors. Issues pertaining to misdemeanors generally only arise for certain jobs pertaining to healthcare, law, and government. In other words, this crime is not likely to interfere with most employers. I would not advise offering to recant your testimony.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/13, 11:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Arizona