Legal Question in Elder Law in Arizona

My mom has gotten lost twice while driving and picked up by the police. She is a danger to herself and others. We had her car keys taken away but don't think she I'd capable of taking care of herself. I live in another state and am not financially capable of paying for a nursing home. What emergency options are available if she is becoming a danger to herself and others?

Asked on 12/03/12, 10:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.

You should take immediate action to petition the court for appointment of a guardian and conservator. If she is incapacitated and/or unable to make prudent decisions for herself, someone must have legal authority to make living and medical decisions for her, and financial decisions and apply for the state to pay for her care, if she does not have sufficient income or assets to pay for her own care.

Read more
Answered on 12/04/12, 10:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Arizona