Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

My parents have my 10 year old daughter and have helped me with her since she was a baby (they are not my birth parents, they did not come into my life till I was 25). When ever I was struggling financially or any other difficulties they would be right there to help. When I got laid off I asked if they could help again, they said of course. But this time I was instructed that I needed to sign over custody for the simple reason of getting her on there insurance so that she can get the braces she needs. The papers the lawyer sent me to sign made me look really bad in character and parenting. I told them I didn't agree and didn't want to sign. They continued to reassure me that it was only for the insurance. So like a dummy I signed. Apparently they made what I considered them helping me, but it made me look like a complete disfunctionional parent. The court granted the order and then told me I had to have a job for a year and live in one place for a year etc etc. Can I go back to court and change this. I feel like I was completely manipulated is there anything I can do?

Asked on 10/31/13, 5:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carlie Owsley Walker The Owsley Law Firm, PLLC

I certainly believe there is, depending on a few factors. I would like to review the document you signed to ascertain whether it was simply a voluntary guardianship, or power of attorney. On the other hand, if you relinquished your parental rights, it is almost impossible to have the court set this type of order aside. Please know we offer free 30 minute consultations to discuss this matter further. Any attorney assisting with your case would need to review the document or have access to the case to know for sure.

Best of Luck!

Read more
Answered on 11/01/13, 12:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona