Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Sharing custody of nephew with father?

I have a niece who lived with me her and a bou had a child. For the fisrt two years i raised him will they were doing what ever.I paid for everything for the child.I had to move from az. To nevada and the mother keep the boy .Know the parents have shared custody of my nephew .He is living with his dad right now.The mother who is my niece called me and said that she wanted to sign her part of custody over to me is this possible.Can she do this even if the father sways he does not wish her to.I need help i have looked every where i do not wish to lose my nephew forever is there anything i can do.

Asked on 6/23/03, 4:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Re: Sharing custody of nephew with father?

Thank you for your inquiry. As I interpret the Arizona law, a non-parent cannot share custody with a parent; however a person who has been "like a parent" (in loco parentis) to a child may have the right to ask the court for an order of visitation.

Please feel free to contact my office to schedule an initial consultation. The fee is $30 for 30 minutes, and $60 for 60 minutes, but it is my policy to waive the fee if I am retained during the first meeting.


Monica Donaldson

(480) 792-9770

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 6/23/03, 7:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona