Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

If your son turned 18 in January and graduated from high scholl in May of the same year and has been accepted into the Marine Corps and will go to boot camp in August of the same year, does his father pay child support for June, July, and August?

Asked on 6/01/12, 2:08 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

Depends on what your divorce decree says. If you have a wage assignment, you will have to file a Petition to stop the wage assignment. Generally child support stops when they graduate or turn 18

Read more
Answered on 6/01/12, 2:35 pm
Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Under the circumstances you described (and without seeing the divorce decree), the child support should end in May (after your son was 18 AND graduated from high school). Once your son is emancipated, his father has no obligation to continue to provide child support.

Read more
Answered on 6/01/12, 3:11 pm
Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

No. Child support ended in May.

If you overpaid, we can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options for collecting that overpayment.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 6/06/12, 11:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona