Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Arizona

I am a Dentist, and I was a contracted employee of a dental corporation from 2009-April 2011. When my contract ended with the corporation our relationship ended on a bad note, resulting in attorneys advising that we don't contact each other. Recently a patient filed a small claims case against the corporation and named me as well in the small claims suit. We both received subpoenas, but I responded and they didn't. When the case was heard by the judge, she considered me a representative of the corporation. The judgement was for the plaintiff, and a copy of it was mailed to the corporate office and the company mailed it to me in an "unmarked" envelope. Since I'm not employed by the company anymore, I'm I responsible for the judgement? What could happen if I just ignore it? (Financially I am having financial troubles, and don't have a job, and I don't own a house)

Asked on 1/11/12, 8:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

I am sorry to hear that you are having financial problems. This is a difficult time for a lot of people. In order to assist you, it would be necessary to review the contract you had with the dental corporation. Also, do you know if you were covered by malpractice insurance while you were employed with the corporation. If so, was it a claims made or occurrence policy if you were covered. In order to assist you, we would have to review the judgment, the contract you had with the dental corporation and determine whether there are debt relief strategies which may be appropriate for you. If you would like to contact our office for review, please call Stephanie Coulter of this office at 602 462 1004 to make arrangements for a review.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/12, 7:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Arizona