Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Arizona

how do i file a complaint against my landlord, he refuses to fix anything that needs to be repaired my plumbing has backed up in my apartment 4 times in the 2 monthes ive lived here the last time this happened i had raw sewage backed up throughout the place and it took 4 days for them to fix it. we couldnt stay there because we had no toliet no shower and the place could be smelled from the street. we also have roaches, which he refuses to spray for, claiming its not hisfault we dont clean up after ourseves. he will only spray the empty apartments, which we all know only sends them to other apartments if all are not sprayed at the same time. when i try to call the leasing agency that over sees the property they have yet to return a single call and ive left neomours messages. i also believe there is some kind of problem with the electrical because i have gone through over 300 dollars in electricity so far this month. i have 2 small children of my own and two teenagers that i have coustody of and i dont feel as though these are suitable living arrangements for my children. I also have a heart condition that is preventing me from working at this time and i have applied but not yet recieved disablity yet so i just dont have the funds to move at this time. please feel free to call me at 602-760-7769 thank you very much for any help you may give me megan imhoff

Asked on 8/25/10, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.

You go to small claims court and file suit for damages, for the cost of fixing all that is wrong with your leased premises and the damages that result directly from the landlord's failure to provide you with "inhabitable premises." You could also file suit in Justice Court for all of the above and to terminate the lease, however, it is a problem to get included in the damages money to move, even though moving is an item of damages resulting from the landlord's failure to provide bug free premises with good electrical and plumbing.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/10, 1:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Arizona