Legal Question in Native American Law in Arizona

If you were speeding and driving recklessly in a school zone, which governmental agency would have to arrest or otherwise deal with you?

Which court or entity would settle your case?

Asked on 3/22/10, 9:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law

It depends on whether you are native or not and whether the offense is criminal or civil. If you are a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe, you can be hauled into tribal court. Otherwise, you can only be hauled into tribal court on civil charges, or they may send you off-rez to a JP court if they don't have a civil traffic code for dealing with non-natives. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/27/10, 9:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in Arizona