Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I've been stealing from my workplace. Several items from a shop over the last few years. I was greedy and stupid! Now they busted me with a few items from the last few weeks, but the investigation within the company is still going on and I can expect an accusation of the other items I stole during the last years of my employment. There is a camera inside of the shop to review everything. The stolen goods ( like clothes and toiletries) total an amount of nearby $ 2500.00. I feel so bad. I don't want to end up in jail. Is it possible for them to still accuse me of stolen goods from lets year ago and can they use the camera installed in the shop for proofing what I did? I don't have a criminal record! What should I do?

Asked on 9/28/09, 6:38 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The first thing you should expect is to be fired, if that hasn't happened already. Your employer will probably demand that you reimburse it for the stolen items and may sue you if you don't pay up. It may also report you to the police.

Because you committed multiple thefts you can be charged with multiple crimes. The good news is that, if each theft involved items worth less than $400, the charges will probably be misdemeanors.

Yes, you can still be prosecuted and/or sued for thefts you committed a year ago. And yes, the surveillance video can be used as evidence against you.

You should consult with an attorney ASAP. Don't say or do anything about this at work until you have obtained legal advice. Note that reimbursing the company can be used against you in a criminal case as evidence of your guilt. You should proceed cautiously.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/09, 6:47 pm

Jacek W. Lentz Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz

The best and the only thing you should do right now is to consult confidentially with a defense attorney. Most lawyers will evaluate your case free of charge. I recommend you call a couple of attorneys to see who might be best for you. In the meantime, do not make any incriminating statements and do not talk to anyone about your case unless it is a lawyer.

Jacek W. Lentz, Esq. 213.250.9200

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 4:12 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

For starters, stop publicizing 'confessions' that could be used against you in court, and do not talk to anyone except your attorney about this. You can expect to be charged with a crime, hire an attorney NOW to handle this. He may be able to negotiate a civil compromise with the employer that avoids criminal charges in exchange for restitution. If you get serious about doing this right, feel free to contact me for legal help.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 2:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California