Legal Question in Disability Law in California

I am missing a portion of my spine,due to a surgery from a work injury. (didn't go to well) It is killing me! I will no longer receive "PD checks" I have maxed out. I do not qualify for state disability because I did not work in the state of california prior to this job. I am on my second appeal for SSI. Any suggestions? I'm not doing something right. I now have no income.

Asked on 3/23/12, 11:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys


You can settle your case. PD should be based on a rateable doctor's report and there can be a settlement for future medical as well which could be substantial. Feel free to call us at 213.388.7070 for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 3/25/12, 2:13 pm
Paul A. Swiller Tot Law


If you are appealing the SSI decisions yourself, I would think strongly about having an attorney represent you in that regard. A skilled lawyer can focus your arguments, emphasize your strongpoints, downplay any deficiencies in your position, and help to retrieve and/or acquire the necessary medical evidence you will need to support your claim.

There should be no upfront cost for such representation. Any attorney's fees would simply be deducted from your award for benefits earned from the date you filed your initial application to the present. If your appeal is not successful, you would pay nothing.

Best of luck,

Paul A. Swiller, Esq.

Tot Law

1901 1st Ave., Second Fl.

San Diego, CA 92101

Tel: (619) 794-2018

Fax: (619) 235-4595

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/26/13, 10:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in California