Legal Question in Administrative Law in California

I have before been summoned on jury duty and moved: if I were to move from the country (actually the state), would the court retain any jurisdiction such that I even have to (legally here) answer the summons or indicate my new address? I intend to do both, but, from a legal standpoint, do I actually have to? (The county of Santa Barbara, CA issued the summons, a move to TN if that makes a difference)

Asked on 5/26/13, 5:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

In order to be subject to jury duty, you must be a resident of the area served by the court. See Code of Civil Procedure section 197. The jury commissioner for each court selects names of prospective jurors from lists which include, but are not limited to, DMV licensed driver lists, telephone directories, customer mailing lists, and utility company lists. Some people erroneously believe that prospective juror names are gleaned from voter registrations. This is possible, but not a predominant source.

As long as your name appears on such lists, you are more or less likely to be summoned for jury duty.

The summons is issued by mail, and if you have moved but have arranged for mail forwarding, there's no reason you shouldn't be made aware of a jury summons. If and when you receive one, simply notify the jury commissioner or deputy who sent the notice that you are now a resident of another jurisdiction, and therefore not qualified to serve.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/13, 6:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in California