Legal Question in Bankruptcy in California

I made my last chapter 13 payment in July. I signed and submitted all paperwork sent to me by trustee. I am now, 3 months later, receiving a notice that my plan is being closed without discharge because I did not file a "Debtors Certification in Support of Discharge and Notice for Hearing Documents" what is THAT? I signed and returned EVERYTHING sent to me! Now what?

Asked on 10/10/13, 8:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Lago Peter L. Lago, Atty at Law

You must be in the Northern District of CA. I don't practice much there but in the San Francisco, Oakland and I believe the Santa Rosa divisions, this is a special local form required prior to obtaining your discharge. It basically says that you did your second credit counseling course, you don't owe support pmts, you don't have any felony cases pending, and some other stuff. If your case is closed you'll need to file a Motion to Reopen(and pay $260 filing fee!) to permit you to file this document and obtain your discharge. You can file the document then file the motion. Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/13, 9:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in California