Legal Question in Business Law in California

international student wants llc

Dear Sir/Madam

I am am international student on valid student visa studying in USA.Can I register an LLC to start my own business.Do I need to have a US citizen in the LLC to start the business?

Please guide.


Asked on 10/12/02, 1:05 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: international student wants llc

Unlike an 'S' corporation, an LLC can have nonresident alien owners. You would probably be subject to back-up withholding of income tax. Also, ownership of an LLC and working for the LLC raise different legal issues. You can own an LLC but check your visa restrictions carefully before becoming employed by it or otherwise acquiring a for-profit occupation.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/02, 12:41 pm
Amy Ghosh Law Offices of Amy Ghosh

Re: international student wants llc

No!!! you do not have to be a citizen.

Amy Ghosh

Read more
Answered on 10/13/02, 10:46 am
Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation

Re: international student wants llc

No, you don't have to have a citizen to form a LLC.

Read more
Answered on 10/12/02, 6:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California