Legal Question in Business Law in California

I have recently finished a illustration project for a client. He is now refusing to pay me because he no longer needs them. We had a contract that I did have to extend because I was unable to finish in time due to unforeseen events. We made a verbal agreement for me to finish the 5 illustrations and now that they are completed he doesn't want or need them anymore. I want to be paid for my work. What should I do?

Asked on 8/11/17, 2:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

If the amount in dispute is in the $10,000 area or less, your best alternative is probably to take the client to Small Claims Court. There are several good paperback "how to" books on California small-claims procedures, such as the one published by Nolo Press. Legally, sounds like you breached the contract by failing to meet a deadline, but your client also appears to have waived the breach.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/17, 3:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California