Legal Question in Construction Law in California

In the state of California, if you hire a contractor who is not license, and he is saying that you are acting as his owner/supervisor, what are the legal ramifications if he injured himself in my home. What homeowners insurance cover this?

Asked on 11/12/17, 8:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Redenbacher Redenbacher & Brown, LLP

You are able to hire him as your employee. This means paying payroll taxes, etc. It also means having to take out a commercial workers' compensation policy. Although all homeowners policies contain a small workers' compensation component, it only covers "domestic" workers - such as babysitters. If he gets hurt and you don't have a workers' compensation policy you can find yourself subject to severe monetary penalties on top of paying for his medical bills. Hire a licensed contractor!

Read more
Answered on 11/12/17, 8:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in California