Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

My bank account just received a levy by the CA Tax Commission. They claim I have a bounced check for a car registration from 2001, and that I never replied to any of their notices. I live in Utah now, and they say that they cannot send information about this matter out of state, and the only information they can give me over the phone is the original check amount, the amount now owned, the year and car that this registration is about. They will not give me any other information, I have not received a notice about a bounced check, and they said the only way to even pay this is to drive to CA and pay at the DMV, or mail a payment and the levy will be taken off in 4-6 weeks. Is there a statute of limitations for this since this happened in 2001, I don't have any records for that far back? Can they put a levy on my account without giving me documentation to prove this claim? I filed bankruptcy in 2009, wouldn't this have been covered when I filed?

Asked on 10/09/13, 11:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

How much are we are we talking about here? Even if the state acted illegally, it will mostly most likely cost you far more in legal fees to resolve this matter in court.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/13, 8:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California