Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

How do I file a lawsuit against someone who has just moved out of state? I filed small claims thinking all I has to do was to get this person served yet my file was rejected. Told I need to file civil case. I was granted a fee waiver for case however and given a court date yet file rejected.??? Also need to know what type of case this would be. Lent a friend $, has not repaid as agreed. Would that be under credit or some type of contract law?

Asked on 1/20/23, 10:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

You don't provide enough information to know why your small claims filing was rejected. The fact that the person moved out of state complicates your case but is not a reason the filing would be rejected. If it was rejected because the amount of the debt is in excess of the Small Claims jurisdiction, then your civil case sounds like a Contract - Other Collections case but again, there is too little information to be sure.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/23, 1:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California