Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Fraudulent use of my name to obtain medical services

Hello, I just received a notice from a collection agency about a bunch of unpaid medical bills. The reference medical group is located in Oregon. The thing is I left Oregon almost a year ago. So I suspect it was my ex-wife or someone else fraudulently using my name to obtain medical services. I am writing to the collection agency to dispute the bills and will be calling the medical group to try to clear this up. Are there any legal action I can take including pressing charges etc?


Asked on 11/21/08, 11:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan C. Becker Your Lawyer for Life.

Re: Fraudulent use of my name to obtain medical services

File a police report as soon as possible. Place a fraud alert with the credit bureaus. Besides involving the police, you may want to consider filing an action against your ex-wife (or whoever did this) for your damages. If you write to dispute, make sure you send it certified, return receipt requested.

Best of luck,


Read more
Answered on 11/24/08, 1:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California