Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I lent my boyfriend of 7 years, $4000 cash to put down on a car before his bankrupsy. Then i started making $300 payments for these past 3 years. He never put my name on the car which he promised to do, now we are broken up and i am out a total of $12,450. He gave me $2000 back of the $4000 down payment. I am out all this money and i don't no what to do. I'm a single mom with Multiple Sclerosis. Can i take him to court for all the money im out and now a vehicle we bought together. I have many doctors appt , etc. I don't no what my next step can be. He told me he was getting rid of our car a&buying;himself a new truck. But the trade in is worth quit a bit shouldn't he have to pay me back or split the amount of the trade in value so we both have a car. My grandfather passed away leaving me a 14 yr old vehicle with many mechanical issues. Please help. It's only the right thing to do! That's what i would do. Thanks

Asked on 9/06/13, 6:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

It would come down to what you and he agreed. We're you to own the vehicle or just be owed money.

You can sue him, possibly in small claims for what he owes you. You will just need to convince the judge.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 8:55 pm

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

You claim loan, he claims gift although given your circumstances it would not look good for him. I agree small claims fr the money is best option.

Read more
Answered on 9/07/13, 6:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California