Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I live in California. I was laid off from my job and was out of work for four months. I am back to work now but I fell behind on my auto loan. I owe $11,600 but the vehicle is only worth about $7,000 if I sell it to a private party. If I sell the car for less than the loan i will owe money i do not have. If I voluntarily turn in the car will I be on the hook for the difference in the value and the loan? If the car is the only collateral can they demand the difference or sue me to collect?

Asked on 7/27/13, 2:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joel Selik

I'm sorry, yes they can.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/13, 2:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California