Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Negative Entry on Credit Report

I have a nevative entry on my credit report apparently unpaid gas bill for $18.00. First, I seriously did not want to pay this amount because believe that this is not mine. This is scheduled to stay on my credit report until 2011.. Recently, I have been denied of credit because of this.. I decided I just want to go ahead and pay (eventhough I don't think this is mine) but is collection agency going to remove this negative entry once I pay??? I will still not going to admit that this is my debet (because it isn't).. I just want to be off my record.

Asked on 12/03/08, 5:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Re: Negative Entry on Credit Report

The item will not come off your record, unless the creditor voluntarily agrees to do so. The record will now show as paid in full, however, the past late derrogatory remarks will remain in place. You are going to need to do some tap dancing with the creditor to try to convince them to remove it from your report as its entirely up to them. Asserting the position that its not yours and you are somehow paying it under protest isn't going to go over well with the creditor as you are trying to sweet talk them into removing it. Alternatively, you can dispute it with the credit reporting agencies, and if its truly not yours, then sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act for refusing to remove an item that doesn't belong to you. For $18, I'd try the pay and sweet talk approach first.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/08, 5:38 pm
Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

Re: Negative Entry on Credit Report

The report will show that it was paid. You can add a comment that you paid it even though it wasn't you debt just to clear it up.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/08, 2:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California