Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

summons - how to respond

First, I'm being sued by a debt collector (local law firm). The summons was delivered to a receptionist at my place of employment (I was not the initial recipient). Is that legally acceptable? Next, the summons is the first time I've heard from this collector (i.e., no prior correspondence). Finally, I'm having difficulty finding information on how to respond - what form(s) do I file, etc. I'm pretty certain I want to file a validation notice, but do I file that with the court or just mail it to the collector?

Asked on 3/11/08, 10:58 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Lisa Howard Law Offices of Lisa M. Howard

Re: summons - how to respond

I already answered this in another post.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/08, 11:13 am
Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: summons - how to respond

You can use the form general denial or answer to complaint. We would need to know more about your defense to set forth appropriate affirmative defenses.

You should have any attorney help you serve a bill of particulars to learn about the dates and substance of the debt.

Read more
Answered on 3/12/08, 3:51 pm
James Obecian law office san diego

Re: summons - how to respond

You need to file and serve an ANSWER. Contact me directly for assistance.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/08, 12:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California