Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I have a timeshare that I settled with a collection company in May of 2011. 2 years later the original company that brought the matter to collections and 2 other companies are demanding payment for the original contract. I have called and spoken to each company who has told me I need to provide them the letter that was sent from the collection agency and they would see what they could do. They have also claimed that the company that originally owned the timeshare was bankrupt and a different company purchased the business. Though the original company has also been calling demanding payment along with a different collection agency. The original company has sent a letter to me asking me to sign and have notorized releasing them from all liablity of this debt. They are negatively reporting on my credit report and I cannot get any resolution no matter who I call and what I do. Can someone PLEASE help me?

Asked on 6/12/13, 8:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

First you need to hire an attorney to handle this for you. You should have some documents that show that you did pay this. Second only one company should have the ability to collect. You should take the offensive and demand their documents that show they have the right to collect this. There are ways to challenge what is on a credit report and if that does not work you can initiate litigation yourself. If yo would like to retain an attorney (and pay for their time) i would be happy to review what documents you have and discuss this with yo. My number is 818 345-0123.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California