Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was arrested/detained and held for 9 total days including weekend with out ever seeing a judge before I was released on the 9th day with a paper stating that I was only "detained" and the DA has up to a year to file charges, now 3 months later I get a letter saying I have a warrant out for my arrest. Charges 11379(a) 11377(a) how should I handle this?

Asked on 2/16/12, 10:37 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Theresa Hofmeister Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law

Hire an attorney who practices regularly in the court where your case will be heard. An attorney can clear the warrant, then handle with the case. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/16/12, 5:25 pm

Brian McGinity McGinity Law Office

You need an attorney. Do not speak to the law enforcement without your attorney being present. If you're arrested before you hire an attorney, tell law enforcement you want a public defender and then be quiet. If they tell you to just tell them the truth and they will let you go home, do not believe them. They are not going to let you go home. The bottom line regarding this situation is that you need to hire an attorney.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/16/12, 8:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California