Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I have a case being heard in small claims court. The case was rescheduled to give me time to subpoena the police officer who wrote the police report I tried to admit as evidence. The police officer investigated a felony vandalism case at the scene but failed to contact or interview any of the other eye witnesses who came forth. What documents, if any, should I request he bring to court?

Can I subpoena the deputy district attorney who handled the case at the pretrial hearing? He did not call even one witness to the stand at the pretrial hearing, and the case was discharged due to lack of any evidence to proceed. If I can subpoena him, what documents, if any, should I request he bring to court?

Asked on 8/14/15, 7:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

You haven't told us what facts you want to prove, or what sort of claim you're making, or even who you've sued. Without that basic information, I can't tell you what evidence you will want or need. What I can tell you is that there are types of records which the police and the D.A. would not have to produce even if subpoenaed. That might (or might not) prove to be a problem in your case.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/15, 10:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California