Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Im being charged with 487pc and 496pc. i sold a car on craigslist, i had many people interested in the car there were approx 20 people that came to test drive the car. i finally sold the car to Scott. when i sold the car i provided SCOTT all the necessary paper work for the DMV . pink slip, bill of sale, transfer of liability and a hand written bill of sale from me. when Scott goes to register the car it comes back stolen. so they impound the car, and later when i got the discovery i found out that whoever it is that reported the car stolen has possession of the car now. so needless to say im being charged for something that i did not do. how can somebody report a car stolen and not be the owner of the car. im at the trial stage now and my public defender is not do anything to help. im live in california and i have the discovery for the case. what are my options can you help. thank you for your time.

Respectfully, RICK ODOARDI


[email protected]

Asked on 5/24/19, 12:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

It appears you currently have the help you need, the PD is your attorney. If you really believe he is not doing a satisfactory job, you can hire private counsel to take over the case, if it is not too close to trial. The attorney's job is to get to the truth of who has valid title on the car and how you got the paperwork you claim shows you as the owner. That is a discussion you must surely have had with your attorney and reviewed the 'facts' and evidence the DA is using. The police and prosecutor have their evidence sufficient to convince them they are 'right'. Your attorney needs what do you have to refute them.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/19, 5:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California