Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was charged for shoplifting last month at 17 and I am supposed to appear in court this week. However, two days ago I turned 18. Do I still need my legal guardian present at the court with me?

Asked on 7/17/13, 7:08 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

You need an attorney with you...

Read more
Answered on 7/17/13, 8:41 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I'm assuming that you received a notice that your legal guardian was supposed to be with you, since the offense occurred when you were a minor. To be on the safe side, I suggest you bring on of your legal guardians (parent?) and then ask for an attorney. Your attorney can point out that you are now 18, and together you can handle the matter without needing your parent/s present.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 11:04 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

No, but if you are serious about hiring an attorney to help you in this, and it is in SoCal, feel free to contact me. If this is your first offense, your attorney may be able to get you a diversion program that would avoid a conviction on your record.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 2:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California