Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Is it possible to have two criminal records? My boyfriend was arrested on July 27th 2013. It was said that he had a warrant order from 2005. I went online to check my boyfriends criminal record and no where did I find any warrant charges. Now when he got arrested the officer mentioned another date of birth to him, that was different from my boyfriends date of birth I went online and tried checking his record once again with the different date of birth and sure enough it showed they had a warrant order. Now how is it possible that they have information on one individual under two different criminal records? I know for a fact that the 2005 case information does belong to my boyfriend. in 2005 he was detained on two counts he went to court and paid the fee and under the record with his correct name and date of birth it shows that he went to court paid his debt and that that the case was closed, but there are two more counts with a different case number under the record that has the incorrect date of birth. the issue now is that since he wasn't aware of these charges due to the fact that he know about the second criminal record he didn't show up to court which is now the reason why there's a warrant in the first place. to make matters worst there is a traffic violation from 2004 that was never paid under the second record. how is it possible that they entered his information in the second record knowing that there was already a traffic violation from 2004 that wasn't paid? and how is it possible that they didn't charge him for the 2 charges that were entered in the wrong record when he went to court to pay for his original 2 charges that are now under a closed case?

Asked on 9/04/13, 4:14 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

Rap sheets, computer print outs, jail records, etc.are highly untrustworthy. Sometimes two brother's records or father and son records get confused. Records of jr's and sr's are joined. A name is misspelled and one gets an aka for the rest of his/her life. False birth dates are given and a new record is formed. Two people have the same name and the same birth date and they end up getting arrested on the other person's warrant. There is an error in inputting information into a computer and who knows what the results are. Finger prints and DNA tests are the most reliable but I would not bet my life one either of them.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 5:51 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I agree with Mr. Shapiro.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 6:23 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Is it possible to have two criminal records?


Errors happen.

This will be a nightmare for you to correct, taking time and money with the assistance of counsel. And any legitimate charges will be difficult to resolve with the bad records affecting them too.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 2:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California