Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My son was caught by his friend steeling some money, writing a check to himself and forging her name. A couple months down the road she caught it! I was called and was told what he did and he did not lie about it! The total charges were about $380. I told her she can call the cops and have him charged, she said if I get the money back I don't want to do that! It was paid back and, of course he's lost friends, but now after the fact they keep saying they will charge him if they hear things, which he hasn't said anything? What can I do?

Asked on 7/07/13, 8:31 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

First thing you can do is not discuss this situation with anyone. You could be called as a witnesses. Second, don't post anymore details in a unlicensed forum.... They on have the option to "charge him". Someone could make a police report and the case could be investigated... Once investigated the DA could then file charges.. In the future the case will go outside the statute of limitation. Your son should avoid these people, not anger them, and stay out if trouble. If het gets questioned by the police, make sure he has an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 9:32 am

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

I do not see this as a legal question, but I would not do anything. You could be a witness and as this does not involve you directly I do not think that this is something that you should meddle in. I would not. Your friend made a mistake and that's that. He took care of it and as I understand it there are no charges.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 12:58 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

If the police call you or ask you questions you should refuse to answer. They will only question you if they need information to hang your son. Just tell them that you do not wish to answer any questions.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 8:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California