Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I'm a tenant as well as the other person who live up stairs in a nother unit we have only one elect meter

Or bill went from 136 to 379 in one month she's not paid her part can I disconnect her if I send her a bill like a 24 hr notice and shut her off for non payment like the utility company's do.

Help she killing me

Asked on 3/10/13, 11:48 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

You aren't a utility company . You should have an agreement in place on how the electricity is supposed to be split, unfortunately you are probably stuck with increases if it increases your share. Without a separate meter neither one of you know how much electricity either one is using.

I can't see how you could ever disconnect her without dropping power to your unis since you share same meter but that's not a legal issue. If you disconnect power you open yourself up for litigation

Read more
Answered on 3/10/13, 12:18 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

If you get no where with your co-tenant you should speak to your landlord.

Read more
Answered on 3/10/13, 4:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California