Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

i have three warrents for my arrest that are not is for failure to appear.i really dont want to go to jail how can i stay out of jail and deal with this issue

Asked on 5/24/13, 12:34 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

Contact an attorney, see if the attorney can appear for you at least initially and resolve the charges

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 1:36 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Going to court when you are supposed to would help. Having a fugitive status is not a good way to handle your legal problems.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 6:02 pm
Joshua Hale Hale Law Group

Hire an attorney and go to court of your own volition.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 6:15 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

What you want, and what you get, are generally two different things in life. When you blow off the court [judges] three times, do you really think they are going to care much what you want??

Seriously, to handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On misdemeanors and infractions, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present – which is safer and avoids immediately being taken into custody. You’ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and seek bail reduction or OR release. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain on any ‘Failure to Appear’ charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. You’ll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. Turning yourself in voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in chains to court after arrest on the warrant. That can happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the country. While this isn't a 'capital case', you now face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/13, 11:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California