Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I have warrents the charges where when i was a minnor i completed a drug program what should i do?

Asked on 9/23/13, 9:50 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Philip Hache Law Office of Philip D. Hache, A Professional Corporation

So I understand correctly, you have warrants that are still outstanding from a matter in juvenile court? Did you fail to show up to court for a progress hearing to show proof of completion of the drug program? Why were the warrants issued? I would recommend that you contact the attorney who handled your juvenile matter to get the warrants recalled and get your case back on track. Also, your previous attorney will have a better understanding of your current status since he or she was assumingly there and familiar with the details of your case, and disposition. I need to add a page on juvenile court to my webpage. Will do that soon. In the event that your case was in adult court, check out for a little more information.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 2:36 pm

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

To handle a warrant, you MUST turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, an attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present. You’ll try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and try to negotiate a plea bargain on any ‘Failure to Appear’ charge or probation violation that caused the warrant. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/13, 12:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California