Legal Question in Discrimination Law in California

''Sexual Harassment''

What can I Do if someone lies about sexual harrassment,and it cost me my job?

Asked on 5/17/01, 7:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Kirschbaum Law Offices of Michael R. Kirschbaum

Re: ''Sexual Harassment''

If you can prove that the accuser lied, you can probably sue that person for damages caused you, though you may have trouble collecting them from an individual who may not have many assets. The employer has a legal obligation to investigate and take corrective action when someone complains about sexual harassment. As long as the employer can show it acted in good faith, it is not responsible for damages. You would have to show that it either knew, or should have known, had they conducted a good faith investigation, that you were innocent of the charge. This is often tough to prove. You should check with this employer and ask them what they will tell prospective employers. Also, ask to see what is in your personnel file. You have a right to see it. Try to reach an agreement with them that they will not tell prospective employers why you were fired.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/01, 12:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in California