Legal Question in DUI Law in California

My son was recently arrested for DUI and bodily injury after car accident. He is 22 and have no record. The state is charging him with a felony. Is that the law in California or are they being very hard on him. Is there any lesser charge they can charge him with or is that what he is going to have to defend from. As of now he doesn't have private attorney, he has a public defender. Thanks for any information you can provide me with.

Asked on 9/25/13, 8:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joshua Hale Hale Law Group

You should find him a private attorney immediately. There are lesser charges, but in my experience Public Defenders are overworked and underpaid.

Call my office at your convenience if you have any questions.

J. Hale

Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 8:29 pm

David M. Wallin Law Offices OF David M. Wallin

As a Former Deputy District Attorney and a Certified Criminal Law Specialist, who has been practicing for about 25 years, the charges are normal for a DUI causing injury. The prosecutor charges as Felony in most cases. That isn't to say that your son couldn't resolve the case for a misdemeanor with the right facts and the right Prosecutor and the right defense attorney. You should contact an attorney in or around the area the case is being heard, as most criminal defense attorneys give free consultations. Be leary of attorneys who give you an impression like they know what the future holds. Speak to an attorney with credentials. I wish you and your son well............David Wallin

Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 8:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California