Legal Question in Education Law in California

My daughter is in Jr. high and her teacher is texting her and other students. I am not ok with this. Also, my daughter was seeing a school psychologist without my knowledge and I am upset I was not aware. What do I do?

Asked on 4/17/14, 12:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

Generally, a psychologist needs to gain the consent of at least one parent before undertaking therapy. There are exceptions, however, in California for teenagers, if the psychologist deems it inappropriate to approach a parent for consent. You should actually check to see if this is a licensed psychologist since many "therapists" are neither licensed, nor do they have appropriate training. If you are troubled by the texting, talk first to teacher, then the principal, then to the school board.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/14, 12:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California