Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

I am the co-writer of a song released on a soundtrack and a full length album that as released in 2005. I was told by the artist to sign up with ASCAP to receive royalties from the song. I Have not seen a penny to this day. What can I do?

Asked on 7/31/14, 9:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rob Reed Law Office of Robert A. Reed

Have you checked to see if your song appears in your ASCAP catalog? If not, discuss with the cowriter. If you never told him or her your ASCAP registry name, he or she wouldn't know who to give half credit to. Do that asap if you haven't.

You should also be entitled to half of the sales royalties, which would be around a nickle per album sale, unless agreed to otherwise.

I suspect your cowriter may have received these royalties and not shared.

If the soundtrack/album had substantial sales, it might be worth pursuing. Good luck

Read more
Answered on 7/31/14, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California