Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

Non Profit needs contract for compilation CD

Weve got artists ready to submit thier works for our first comp CD. What kind of contract should we do. We want the artists to be able to keep thier publishing rights, but at the same do we have to pay them for each CD we accept donations for. In the future we will hopefully be able to create, distribute and market our artists works, but until them we must rely on them to get things done for themselves. Where is the happy medium. And what if we just give the CDs away, Please respond


Asked on 2/28/05, 9:06 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Keith E. Cooper Keith E. Cooper, Esq.

Re: Non Profit needs contract for compilation CD

The short answer is you can make whatever agreement you wish with the artists, and what you describe seems reasonable. You do, however, need to have a competent attorney draw up an agreement for you so that you retain the rights you need to use the artists' work. You could use the custom agreement as a "standard form", so that you don't need to draw up a new contract with each artist.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/05, 4:31 pm
Christopher M. Brainard, Esq. C. M. Brainard & Associates - (310) 266-4115

Re: Non Profit needs contract for compilation CD

You need contract drafting done. Ergo you need an attorney. I can do this work for you and I am $200/hr. You may contact me and I will send you my resume. Thanks!

Read more
Answered on 2/28/05, 11:11 am
Jonas Grant Law Office of Jonas M. Grant, A.P.C.

Re: Non Profit needs contract for compilation CD

As Mr. Brainard points out, you don't need a "type" of contract per se, you need a contract custom-drafted to fit your needs. My current hourly rate as of this writing is $195 -

Read more
Answered on 3/01/05, 1:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California