Legal Question in Environmental Law in California

What is the Serverance Agreement and General Release. I recieved from my Ex-Employer, and she signed it and I do not know what to do with it, or whether to sighn it at all. What should I do?

Asked on 8/23/10, 4:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

If you were to sign the proposed agreement, you will be bound to its terms. Typically, if you sign it, you agree to the amount you will receive as severance pay in the next few weeks, and when your benefits will end. You probably also will be deemed to have voluntarily quit rather than have been laid off or fired, and you might not qualify for unemployment compensation. You might also be waiving your right to sue for discrimination or other potential violations of the law, including worker's compensation claims.

You might take the proposed agreement to an employment attorney in Beverly Hills to review it, make recommendations, and perhaps represent you. There might be termination issues of which you presently are unaware, that might be to your benefit.

Read more
Answered on 8/28/10, 5:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Environmental Law questions and answers in California