Legal Question in Family Law in California

I dont want my child on medicine for ADD. My ex husband took our child to our doctor to be evaluated and she said our son has ADD and prescribed him Daytrana. I agreed to try it but our son hates it hates how he feels and at 11 I think our son has a right to decide if he should be on it or not. I dont think he needs it and the unknown long term side affects are not worth the risk. My ex now wants me to pay for half of this too because our court order says we pay half of medical expenses. Can I fight to not have our child on this medicine can my child fight to not be on it. My ex I think wants our child on it because our child is less active and sits like a lump or sleeps more its a great baby sitter for my ex husband. I love the fact our child is active and he is not bouncing off the walls he is great kid well behaved with me the ex is also using my being against this ADD medicine as a reason to have sole custody or primary whatever he can get to use this as a tool for him to have leverage. He is very litigious always brining me to court this is his latest game. I have for now told the courts I am not against this medicine becasue I saw the writing on the wall if I said I was against it....I am appeasing the courts to keep my child but I was pro per at the time. Bottom line this doesnt sit well with me and I feel like I am selling out on my child

Asked on 7/22/12, 11:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

Please investigate legitimate alternatives you could use to persuade the court to order as treatment for your son. If one is found, file your motion with that information requesting a change in the treatment plan.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/12, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California