Legal Question in Family Law in California

How does child support and child custody work when two parents live in different counties? Can I file for custody or court ordered child support in a different county in which the child lives? Here is some background info:

We currently have a mutual agreement and joint custody but

The drive time is about ten hours. The parents were never married and never lived together, this was a one time summer fling during summer 2015. The mother is from San Diego county California. I was originally from San Diego county but had moved away 14 to 15 years ago since 2004. I had been gone for 11 years already by the time I met the mother in San Diego county during summer 2015. I was in San Diego county visiting family and happened to have a one time summer fling with the mother when she got pregnant during summer 2015. By the time the child was born in 2016 I had been gone from San Diego county for 12 years. By the time I met the mother and the child was born I had already been settled in Northern California. The child is now 3 years old. The mother and I both never agreed to move closer to each other. I've now been gone from San Diego county going on to 15 years this summer and I currently have my career here were I live in northern California.

Asked on 2/21/19, 10:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Child custody cases must be filed in the county of the child's residence. If the child lives with you part time and the mother part time, you may be able to file in your county, but if the child lives with the mother only, you would have to file there.

Read more
Answered on 2/21/19, 1:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California