Legal Question in Family Law in California

I'm divorced and my 20 year old daughter lives at home and has been attending community college. I am continuing to pay her medical insurance, doctor visitis, and prescriptions and her dad won't help. She must have insurance and she has a seizure condition. I've asked him countless times to share the expenses, (at least the monthly premium) and he won't. Do I have legal recourse to help with the medical expenses? Also, can I request that he continue with support while she lives at home and in college?

Asked on 7/01/14, 3:37 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys


Unless your Divorce Decreee provides for the support of your daughter after she turned 18, or after age 19 provided she was a full-time high school student living at home, this is where the cut-off is. The same is true with medical insurance. Therefore, unless you have that continuation provision in your decree, it is only out of a moral obligation that he may decide to pay for support or medicals.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/14, 4:06 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I agree with Mr. Besser.

Read more
Answered on 7/02/14, 7:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California