Legal Question in Family Law in California

Is there any way i can get emancipated without parental consent or evidence of physical abuse? I am 16, and if not, is there any other legal way i can leave home at this age without parental consent or evidence of physical abuse? Please help, i will do anything to leave, i need every answer and solution possible that could get me out of the house. If emotional abuse could get me out then please say so as well.

Asked on 12/05/18, 1:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

First, it is very unlikely (to the point of won’t) the judge would grant emancipation without the consent of the parent(s.)

Second, if allegations of abuse are included in the petition the judge would be forced to refer the matter to Child Protective Services before granting the emancipation.

Thirdly, I seriously doubt a judge would grant the emancipation merely so a girl (minor) can move in with her boyfriend. Obviously, I don’t know if that is the case here, but it should be noted.

Unfortunately, this question is presented in this forum on a daily basis.


Please see:

Read more
Answered on 12/07/18, 1:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California